Open Access advocacy through Academies of Sciences and other National Scientific Organisations (max. 20)
- Vincent Wintermans, Boubakar Barry, Wieland Gevers, Jonathan Harle, Rüdiger Klein, John Marks, Jackie Olang, Kay Raseroka
- Wallenberg Research Centre, Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Study (STIAS), 10 Marais Street, Stellenbosch (Google Maps)
- 08h30 - 13h00
- About this workshop
This workshop will explore how National Academies in the Global South and in particular in Africa see their role in promoting Open Access - in the broad sense, including publications, data, open software and open educational resources; identify specific barriers to introducing OA; discuss ways to influence national policy to the benefit of the optimal sharing of scientific publications and data; and how UNESCO can play a part in this.
The experts are invited to discuss the following questions:
- How can academies, public funders and other scientific organizations contribute to the development of an open science culture in their countries?
- To what extent can good practices of promoting for Open Access by National Academies elsewhere inspire sister organisation in the global south?
- How can UNESCO strengthen the promotional activities for Open Access of Academies in the global south in the framework of its Open Access Strategy?