In order to make the use of DSpace systems, simpler, more reliable and standardised it is proposed that the DSpace community adopt a reference architecture approach to DSpace.
The benefits of the reference architecture approach would be:
- Much simpler installations.
- Much simpler configuration.
- Much simpler customisation.
- Much simpler upgrades.
The very popular Wordpress CMS uses the LAMP stack as it's de-facto reference architecture. This has made Wordpress very easy to install, configure and customise. The popular Open Journal System (OJS) software also uses the LAMP stack.
Proposal for DSpace
- Standardise on an open source server operating system such as Ubuntu LTS.
- Match versions of DSpace to the server operating system.
- Match versions of required software to versions of DSpace and server operating system
|Reference||DSpace||Ubuntu OS||Database||Java runtime||Ant compiler||Java webapp server|
|RA-01||3.2||10.04 LTS||PostgreSQL 8.4||OpenJDK 1.6||Ant 1.7||Tomcat 6|
|RA-02||4.1||12.04 LTS||PostgreSQL 9.1||OpenJDK 1.7||Ant 1.8||Tomcat 6|