SUNScholar/Capacity Building/Digital Repository Systems Management
- DSpace and Ubuntu require expert technical support for long term sustainability.
- Technology is expanding at ever faster rates, therefore it is wise to find persons experienced in specialised areas to do systems management.
- Think of any other field that has expanded and become specialised, the same applies to technology and systems management today and definitely in the very near future.
One man's 'magic' is another man's engineering. -Robert A. Heinlein-
Persons with the following skills are desirable. They can be hired part-time or employed full-time depending on the amount of resources available to you and the amount of work to be done.
- 1 Web 2.0 Software Technologist or Web 2.0 Application Specialist or Java Webapp Developer
- 2 Web 2.0 Hardware Technologist or Web 2.0 Infrastructure Specialist or Ubuntu Linux System Administrator
- 3 In-depth Information
- 4 A Good Geek
- 5 Why I am not a web programmer
- 6 References
- Expert Java programming skills
- Expert XML programming skills
- Professional SQL programming skills
- Professional HTML programming skills
- Professional CSS programming skills
- Professional PHP programming skills
- Familiarity with the Tomcat java webapp server
- Familiarity with the LAMP stack webapp server
- Expert DSpace software programming skills.
- Expert EPrints software programming skills.
- Expert PKP software programming skills.
- Expert Open Data software programming skills.
- Expert Open Educational Resources software programming skills.
Web 2.0 Hardware Technologist or Web 2.0 Infrastructure Specialist or Ubuntu Linux System Administrator
- Expert with the Ubuntu Linux server operating system
- Expert with the Tomcat java webapp server
- Expert with the LAMP stack webapp server
- Expert with virtualization and cloud services
- Professional BASH programming skills
- Professional TCP/IP networking skills
- Familiarity with a major vendors server hardware
- Familiarity with a major vendors networking hardware
- Expert DSpace infrastructure support skills.
- Expert EPrints infrastructure support skills.
- Expert PKP infrastructure support skills.
- Expert Open Data infrastructure support skills.
- Expert Open Educational Resources infrastructure support skills.
How to find persons with these skills
The ideal candidates are graduates from one of the technology universities in South Africa who have studied information technology or computer science or electronics.
Below is a list of technology universities and the relevant departments.
- http://www.cput.ac.za and http://www.cput.ac.za/academic/faculties/informaticsdesign/prospectus
- http://www.cut.ac.za and http://www.cut.ac.za/faculty_pages/ndip-information-technology
- http://www.dut.ac.za and http://www.dut.ac.za/faculty/accounting_and_informatics/information_technology
- http://www.vut.ac.za and http://www.vut.ac.za/index.php/faculties/applied-a-computer-sciences/departments
Or you can try the following links to able to source persons with these skills from the community in your area.
Salaries according to RHT in the USA
Currency convertor: http://www.xe.com
Linux System Admin
Java Web Developer
$ 64500 - $ 89500
$ 65750 - $ 95250
$ 62000 - $ 86000
$ 62000 - $ 89750
A Good Geek
What a good geek does, is AUTOMATE, INNOVATE and ANNOTATE.
Why I am not a web programmer