- Step 2 - Marketing Friendly Persistent URL and Preservable Digital Objects
- While developing your open access policy and repository preservation plan, take time to consider the following as very important strategic imperatives at all times, for a very long term successful repository.
Marketing Friendly Persistent URL
The marketing friendly persistent URL is vital for electronic citation persistence on the web in the long term and for repository marketing/branding.
- Decide on a marketing friendly persistent (URL) for the repository.
- This name should be short and simple to remember, easy to type into documentation and good for marketing/branding.
- Ensure the name will never change and that it has a clean URL with no forward slash redirect.
- Good Examples
- Bad Examples
- http://uctscholar.uct.ac.za - Double use of UCT is very confusing for marketing.
- http://researchspace.csir.co.za/dspace - Uses a forward slash URL something, also bad for marketing and internet harvesters.
- http://digitalknowledge.cput.ac.za:8081/jspui - Uses a port number AND forward slash URL something, very bad for internet interoperability.
- Further Reading
Website Metrics Good Web URL Tips Open Citation Systems A Brief History of the Domain Name Domain Names Explained http://no-www.org
Preservable Digital Objects
Preservable digital objects are vital for access by future researchers and for data interoperability.
- Further Reading
Preservable Digital Objects Digital Formats Preservation Formats for Cultural Archives http://www.documentliberation.org The National Archives Digital Preservation Software
Click on the image below to zoom in and click on it again to zoom in further. You are welcome to download it and use it for open digital object formats advocacy.