Difference between revisions of "SUNScholar/Guidelines/Step 2"
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Line 35:||Line 35:|
Revision as of 11:34, 3 July 2014
- Step 2 - Marketing Friendly Persistent URL and Preservable Digital Objects
- While developing your open access policy and repository preservation plan, take time to consider the following as very important strategic imperatives at all times, for a very long term successful repository.
Marketing Friendly Persistent URL
- The marketing friendly persistent URL is vital for electronic citation persistence on the web in the long term and for repository marketing/branding.
- Decide on a marketing friendly persistent (URL) for the repository.
- This name should be short and simple to remember, easy to type into documentation and good for marketing/branding.
- Ensure the name will never change and that it has a clean URL with no forward slash redirect.
http://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/index.php/OpenCitation http://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/index.php/SUNScholar/Install_Ubuntu/S02 http://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/index.php/SUNScholar/Repository_Website_Metrics http://mashable.com/2014/03/10/domain-names-history http://www.commoncraft.com/video/domain-names-and-hosting http://no-www.org
- Good Examples
- Bad Examples
- http://uctscholar.uct.ac.za - Double use of UCT is very confusing for marketing.
- http://researchspace.csir.co.za/dspace - Uses a forward slash URL something, also bad for marketing and internet harvesters.
- http://digitalknowledge.cput.ac.za:8081/jspui - Uses a port number AND forward slash URL something, very bad for internet interoperability.
Preservable Digital Objects
- Preservable digital objects are vital for access by future researchers and for data interoperability.
http://www.preforma-project.eu http://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/index.php/SUNScholar/Preservable_Digital_Objects http://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/index.php/SUNScholar/Digitisation/Digital_Formats http://www.documentliberation.org https://github.com/digital-preservation
Click on the image below to zoom in and click on it again to zoom in further. You are welcome to download it and use it for open digital object formats advocacy.