Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences/School of Public Leadership/Researchers/B/Burger Johan
- 1 Brief Statement of Interest
- 2 Social Media/News Items
- 3 Past Events/13th International Winelands Conference 2-4 April 2012
- 4 UPCOMING EVENTS 14th International Winelands Conference 2014
- 5 Publications
- 6 Research Supervision
- 7 Special Projects - Contract research
- 8 Community Interaction Projects since 2007
- 9 External Links
- 10 Social Media
Brief Statement of Interest
Johan Burger is an academic in the fields of public and development management since January 1994, as well as being a professional construction sector expert and project manager. His academic career was preceded by public service practice employment between February 1982 and December 1993. He has Bachelor in Architecture (B.Arch), Master in Public Administration (MPA) and PhD degrees and is a registered Professional Architect and Professional Construction Project Manager. His academic research and teaching focus has been on Public Sector Policy, Finance, Project Management, Housing and Sustainable Development, and is currently concerned with reform trajectories in these fields. His focus in practice has been as architect and project manager in education facilities and low cost housing. As public sector practitioner he achieved the positions of office manager and Deputy Chief Architect in the South African public sector and as academic that of professor and he also served a term (2003 to 2006) as Director of the then School of Public Management and Planning, now School of Public Leadership, at Stellenbosch University. He started his second term as Director of SPL in 2013. He is active in various international academic networks and has been a guest lecturer at Bocconi University in Milan, Italy, Potsdam University in Germany as well as at international summer schools in Krakow, Poland; Steinkjer, Norway; Roskilde and helsingor, Denmark and Limerick, Ireland. In his capacity as Director of the School of Public Management and Planning he served on a steering committee for the establishment of the World Conservation Learning Network (WCLN) of the World Conservation Union (IUCN) and led the process to establish a Southern African chapter of the WCLN in 2006. He is also currently the academic coordinator of the Municipal Minimum Competence training programme which SPL presents to municipal officials as accredited service provider for the SA National Treasury and Local Government Seta.
- Tel.: +27 21 918 4125
- Fax: +27 21 918 4123
- 1976 High School Swellendam. Matric (Grade 12) first class
- 1982 University of the Free State: B.Arch degree. (Bachelor in Architecture – 5 year degree programme)
- 1988 University of South Africa (UNISA), School of Business Leadership: Certificate in Project Management (1 year certificate programme)
- 1991 University of Stellenbosch, School of Public Management: HonsB in Public Administration, cum laude (2 year part time programme)
- 1992 University of Stellenbosch, School of Public Management: MPA, cum laude (1 year Master degree programme)
- 1992 University of Stellenbosch, Department of Political Science: Research Methodologies with distinction (Political Studies 332 module)
- 1995 University of Stellenbosch, School of Public Management: PhD (Public and Development Management)
- 1991 Was awarded the Johnny Barnard floating trophy for best performance in the post graduate programmes in public and development management
- 1992 Attained MPA cum laude after one year of study with thesis titled, “Appropriate Management Technology for Affordable Physical Development” (Thesis in Afrikaans)
- 1995 Attained PhD in March, after two years of study with dissertation titled, “Housing Management for Development” (Dissertation in Afrikaans)
Accreditation & Professional Registrations
- Accredited in 2002 in the then newly introduced Social Sciences Research Accreditation system of the South African National Research Foundation as Category C3 Social Sciences Researcher, then one of the first three in South Africa in the subfield of Public Administration.
- Registered with the South African Council of Architects as Professional Architect (Pr. Arch) and is a member of the South African Institute of Architects.
- Registered with the South African Council for the Project and Construction Management Professions as Professional Construction Project Manager (Pr.CPM)
- February 1982 to October 1984: Department of Community Development, Pretoria. Career progressing from Architect-in-Training to Architect.
- November 1984 to December 1993. Administration: House of Representatives, Cape Town. Career progressing from Architect, Senior Architect, Principal Architect to Deputy Chief Architect.
- Portfolio Management of + 250 school building projects and giving direction towards the design of environment sensitive, purpose designed schools for the House of Representatives.
- Project management of large housing projects such as Delft, Cape Town (6 000 houses) and Windmill Park, Boksburg (400 houses)
- January 1994: School of Public Leadership, Stellenbosch University. Career progressing from Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Associate Professor (since 1 January 1999) and Division Head of Graduate Programs in Public and Development Management (since 1996)
- Director: School of Public Management & Planning (2004 to 2006) to Professor (since 1 January 2005).
- Director: School of Public Leadership from January 2013.
Nature of work: Academic teaching, research and community interaction as well as academic programme management
FORMAL TEACHING OBLIGATIONS
- Orientation to Development, Society and State: Undergraduate first year module
- Orientation to Development: Admission module to Honours Programme in Public and Development Management
- Financial Management and Cost Accounting: Module in Honours Programme in Public and Development Management
- Project Management: Module in Honours Programme in Public and Development Management
- Policy Management: Module in Honours Programme in Public and Development Management
- Comparative and Contemporary Public Management Innovation Studies: Module in Master’s Programme in Public and Development Management
- Previously: Public Sector Finance for Master in Development Finance, University of Stellenbosch Business School; Financial *Management and Cost Accounting: Module in Honours Programme in Public and Development Management; Comparative Analysis of Public *Management Reform: Module in Honours Programme in Public and Development Management
Social Media/News Items
i shack ishack by TsamaHub
25 October 2011 Change is about more than just equity by Erwin Schwella
05 October 2011 Professor Erwin Schwella to address global audiences
22 August 2011 Curing toxic leadership by Erwin Schwella
15 June 2011 School of public leadership tweets in cyberspace
04 May 2011 SPL helps municipalities manage their finances
20 April 2011 SPL delivers long-term results
15 April 2011 Hard work pays off for top SPL student
Past Events/13th International Winelands Conference 2-4 April 2012
13th International Winelands Conference 2-4 April 2012 will be hosted by the School of Public Leadership.
Theme: Integrity and governance: What is wrong? What is good? What is next?
UPCOMING EVENTS 14th International Winelands Conference 2014
TITEL: INNOVATION FOR THE URBAN AGE
DATE: 31 MARCH - 04 APRIL 2014
VENUE: SPIER WINE ESTATE, STELLENBOSCH, SOUTH AFRICA
CALL FOR PAPERS
The School of Public Leadership (SPL) of Stellenbosch University, South Africa is pleased to announce that Abstract Submissions and Registration is now open for the 14th International Winelands Conference – “Innovation for the Urban Age”.
The topic of the Conference and the themes will form the basis for dynamic interaction between academics, practitioners and stakeholders dealing with this very topical subject.
The conference will have a wide variety of themes relating to innovation and urbanisation which will all add value to the discourse on these issues. There will be a strong focus on innovative concepts that are pragmatic and implementable.
For more information please click CALL FOR PAPERS CLICK HERE to download the Call For Papers
Conference Director Mr David Daniels
1996 Schwella, E; Burger, J; Fox, W & Müller, JJ. 1996. Public Resource Management, Juta, Cape Town.
Chapters in books
- Burger, J. 1997. “Public Financial Management”, chapter in Liebenberg, S and Stewart, P (eds.), Participatory Development Management and the RDP, Juta, Cape Town.
- Burger, J; Meyer, IH; Van Baalen, JPJ & Rheeder, BJN. 2001. “Outcomes-based housing: A comparative study” in Van der Molen, K; Van Rooyen, A and Van Wyk, B. (eds.), Outcomes-based governance: Assessing the results, Cape Town: Heinemann.
Research Articles - Accredited Publications
- Burger, APJ and Theron, F. 1996. “Public Management Technology for Development” in Administratio Publica, Vol 7, No 1, June.
- Burger, J. 1997. “A Strategic Development Management Orientation for Local Authorities”, in Development Southern Africa, Vol 14, No 9, February.
- Burger, J and Theron, F. 1997. “Development Management – A Postmodern Perspective”, in Administratio Publica, Vol 8, No 1, June.
- Burger, APJ and Cloete, F. 1998. “Assessing Housing Management in terms of Development Objectives”, in Development Southern Africa, Vol 15, No 5, December.
- Carstens, PJ & Burger, APJ. 1999. “Management Development in the South African Police Service” in Administratio Publica, Vol 9, No 1, June.
- Burger, J. 1999. “Demarcating public financial knowledge and skills requirements for increased public sector performance”, in Journal of Public Administration, Vol 34. No. 4. December.
- Burger, J. & Ducharme, G. 2000. “Performance measurement in local government. Reconciling financial performance with other performance indicators”, in Administratio Publica, Vol 10, No 2, December.
- Burger, J. 2001. “Closing the gap. Service delivery by regional government in South Africa”, in Politeia, Vol 20, No 3.
- Burger, J. 2002. “Irreproachable ethical behaviour as prerequisite for reversing the downward performance spiral”, in Politeia, Vol 21, No 1.
Papers prepared for other purposes
- Burger, J. 2006. “Transform, perform... or just conform? Evaluating SA public management reform initiatives”. Paper presented as professorial inaugural lecture, 26 April, Stellenbosch University Printers.
- Burger, J. 2007. “Sustainable Futures: What’s left? What’s right? What next?” Background paper posted on www.winelands2008.co.za for the 11th International Winelands Conference on Public Governance to be held at Spier Estate, Stellenbosch, 16 to 18 April 2008.
- Burger, J. 2007. “Dealing with uncertainty through institutional entrepreneurship: A South African Perspective”. Contextual paper for International Summer Schools at Steinkjer, Norway in June and Krakow, Poland in August.
- Burger, J. Since 2003. “PROMISE – Project Management in the Interest of Society and the Environment”. Reader for use in Honours and Executive Programmes.
- Burger, J. Since 2006. “PROGRESS – Programme Governance for Responsive and Entrepreneurial Societal Solutions”. Reader for use in Master’s and Executive Programmes
- Burger, J. Since 2009. “An orientation to development, policy and management”. Reader for orientation modules to Honours and Executive Programmes.
Current research projects
- Burger, J. with Vanebo, JO. “Public sector institutional entrepreneurship. A South Africa – Norway comparative study”.
- Burger, J. “Soft state, hard informatics – cure or curse?” Provisional title for paper exploring the impact of “hard” information on so-called soft state (poor governance) manifestations.
- Burger, J with Sustainability Institute. Since 2007. Development of an Investment Appraisal model for determining net present values of life-cycle costs of various housing options with a view to define the “ultimate sustainable house” to be delivered by means of state housing mechanisms.
Conference Papers presented
- Burger, J. 1990. “Bekostigbare Behuising” at conference Die Plattelandse Dorp op pad na 2000, 13 September, Upington.
- Burger, J. 1996. “New Thinking on Local Government Reorganisation – South African Perspectives” at Metropolitan Restructuring Forum Organisation Design Workshop, 27 September, Cape Town.
- Burger, J. 1996. “Financial Management” at Business Management Principles for Government, workshop for Western Cape Provincial Government, 27 September, Cape Town.
- Burger, J. 1996. “Shaping Local Authorities to be Reconcilable with Local Variables”, at Southern Metropolitan Local Council Organizational Design Workshop, 29 October, Cape Town.
- Burger, J. 1998. “The South African Ship of State – Continued Restructuring of its Civil Service Machinery” at 59th American Society for Public Administration National Conference, 12 May, Seattle.
- Burger, J. 1999. “Visions Beyond Borders – A South African Perspective” at 60th American Society for Public Administration National Conference, April, Orlando, Florida.
- Burger, J 1999 “Demarcating Public Finance Knowledge and Skills Requirements For Increased Public Sector Performance” presented at the inaugural conference of the South African Association of Public Administration and Management, Pretoria, 22 November.
- Burger, J. 2000 :”Closing the gap. Service delivery by the regional sphere of South African Government” at 61st American Society for Public Adminstration National Conference. 3 April, San Diego.
- Burger, J. 2000 (panel convener) with Meyer, I; Camroodien, L and Rheeder, N: “Supporting services to the ultra-poor with integrated information technology – Lessons from the periphery” at 61st American Society for Public Administration National Conference, 2 April, San Diego.
- Meyer, I. (panel convener) 2001 (with Burger, J, Van Baalen, J and Rheeder, N., “Outcome-Based Housing In Developing Cities” at 62nd American Society for Public Administration National Conference, 10 March, Newark.
- Burger, J. 2001., “Reconciling financial performance in local government with other performance indicators”, at Institute of Municipal Finance Officers Western Cape Symposium, 27 June, Stellenbosch.
- Burger, J. 2001 (convener) with Meyer, I, Van Baalen, J and Rheeder, N., “Outcomes Based Housing: A Comparative Study” at 8th Winelands Conference, 13 September, Stellenbosch.
- Burger, J. 2002. “Indicators of high-performance housing delivery”, at Western Cape Provincial Housing Conference, 26 March, Cape Town.
- Burger, J. 2002. “Sustainable development” at Western Cape Consolidated Municipal Infrastructure Programme (CMIP) Capacity Building Workshops, 11 October, Citrusdal, 18 October, George, 25 October, Stellenbosch and 1 November, Worcester.
- Burger, J. 2002. “Public Management in Southern Africa and the developing world in general” at SDA Bocconi International Programme, Milan, Italy, 9 September 2002.
- Burger, J. 2003. “South Africa: A decade of reform” at International Summer School, Krakow, Poland, 24 August and SDA Bocconi International Programme, Milan, Italy, 4 September.
- Burger, J. 2004. “South African reforms” at International Summer School, Krakow, Poland.
- Burger J and Burger A. 2004. “The beneficiaries have judged” at Institute for Housing of South Africa International Housing Conference, Cape Town, 4 October.
- Burger, J. 2004. “Sustainable engineering development” at South African Institute if Civil Engineers Workshop, Bellville, 8 October.
- Burger, J. 2005. “South African reforms” at International Summer School, Krakow, Poland.
- Burger, J. 2006. “South African Reforms”, at International Summer School, Krakow, Poland.
- Burger, APJ. 2007. “Analysing capacity needs in terms of skills, resources and infrastructure of the Public Service” at Public Service Co-ordinating Bargaining Council 1st Biennial Labour Relations Conference for the Public Service: Harmonising Labour Relations in the Public Service 26 to 28 March
- Burger, J. 2007. “Tensions and contradictions as source of innovation. Two South Africans’ perspectives” at International Summer School, Krakow, Poland, 14 August.
- Burger, J. 2007. “Public governance and uncertainty. Two South Africans’ perspectives” at International Summer School, Steinkjer, Norway., June.
- Burger, J. 2007. “Reforms in South Africa, two perspectives” at Potsdam University, 31 August.
- Burger, J. 2008. “Governance, a South African experience” at International Summer School, Roskilde, Denmark, 3 July.
- Burger, J. 2008. “Governance, a South African experience” at International Summer School, Krakow, Poland, 19 August.
- Burger, J. 2009. “Doing right right – institutional responses to crisis” at International Summer School, Limerick, Ireland, 26 June
- Burger, J. 2009. “Innovation and performance for equity” at International Summer School, Krakow, Poland, 18 August.
- Burger, J. 2009. “Practice innovation relies on information: A sustainable housing illustration” at Public value in a developmental state: Innovative teaching, training and practice, Association of Southern African Schools and Departments of Public Administration and Management (ASSADPAM) Conference, , Stellenbosch, 11 September.
- Burger, J. 2010. “Innovation and performance for equity” at International Summer School, Krakow, Poland, 17 August.
(Only research outputs adhering to National Research Foundation requirements): Completed: (As study leader / promoter):
(In Alphabetical Order)
- Adams, JO. 2002. Economic empowerment of housing beneficiaries, MA thesis.
- Dlalisa, WTM. 2009. Strategies for enhancing good governance in South African local government MPA thesis.
- Fouche, I. 2007. Assessing the use of GIS in the Poverty Alleviation Strategy of the West Coast District Municipality MA thesis.
- Hamza, E. 2010. The Role of Higher Education in Public Sector Education and Training: The Case of the School of Government University of the Western Cape MPA thesis.
- Henkin, SMM. 2002. Personal scorecards – a performance management model for aligning personal goals and objectives to organizational strategy within the Cape Town Fire and Emergency Services, MPA thesis.
- Isaacs, DN. 2006. An evaluation of the implementation of local economic development in the City of Cape Town MA thesis.
- Ismay, CR. 2008. The institutionalisation of supply chain management MPA thesis.
- Kahn, SB. 2005. Managing human resources of an integrated South African National Defence Force, PhD dissertation.
- Kamasa ER. 2002. Tax systems reform in Rwanda, MPA thesis.
- Knipe, AN. 1996. ‘n Ontwikkelingsbestuursmodel vir plaaslike owerhede in Suid-Afrika, MA thesis
- Kwada, ZCD. 2007. A fiscal decentralization strategy for innovative local government financial management in Botswana, MPA thesis.
- Latif, SS. 2010. Integration of African traditional health practitioners and medicine into the health care management system in the Province of Limpopo, MPA thesis
- Links, HL. 2011. An output based evaluation of delivery of land reform in South Africa over the period 1994-2010 MA thesis
- Lewis, HA. 2005. An assessment of the impact of the Public Finance Management Act on financial management and service delivery in three hospitals in the Western Cape, MPA thesis.
- Makrwede F. 2012. Investigating gaps in the application of financial management systems by schools receiving Section 21 funding (case study for mthatha education district schools – Eastern Cape province) MPA thesis.
- Matthee, C. 2005. The role of internal audit in supply chain managementMPA thesis.
- Mahada, LP. 2011. Education policy to prospects of a developmental state in South Africa MPA thesis.
- Mathiba, LS. 2011. Evaluation of financial management practices in the Department of Correctional Services MPA thesis.
- Measho, DM. 2002. Customs administration reform and modernization in Eritrea, MPA thesis.
- Mdlazi, DTFM . 2000 An appropriate financial management and budgeting system to support transition in South Africa, MAdmin thesis.
- Minnie, JA. 2000. Improving public service delivery through marketing. MPA tesis.
- Minnie, JA. 2011. Critical success factors for public-private partnerships: an analysis of South African cases, PhD dissertation.
- Mouton, LM. 2004. Communicating for Public Participation: Designing a communication framework for public participation, MA thesis.
- Nevhutalu, ML. 1999. An analysis of the co-operation between the office of the Auditor-General and Provincial Departments in the promotion of effective public accountability in the Northern Province, MPA study project.
- Nkoana, NM. 2010. Evaluation of gender equity programme implementation in Limpopo Provincial Department of Sport, Arts and Culture MPA thesis
- Nkwenkwezi, TS. 2000. An evaluation of selected housing strategies, with special reference to Khayelitsha. MA thesis.
- Pieterse, CL. 2005. An Integrated Financial Framework for Provincial Governance in the Provincial Government of the Western Cape, PhD dissertation.
- Qwele, G. 2009. An analysis of the role of Labour Relations Practitioners as change agents: a case study on the Department of Defence, MPA thesis.
- Sogwagwa, M. 2010. Evaluation of the youth development programme in Swartland Municipality MPA thesis.
- Sondlo, D. 2012. Exploring business and owner traits of small and medium enterprises that exhibit increased revenues in South African townships: The case of selected townships in Strand MPA thesis.
- Stemele, BM. 2008. Assessing Good Governance in Procurement at the Lejweleputswa District Municipality, MPA thesis.
- Streak, JC. 2011. Child poverty and the performance of the child support grant programme in South Africa co-promoter PhD dissertation.
- Tambulasi, R. 2005. The impact of the new public management reforms on credible local governance in Malawi, MPA thesis.
- Tlhabanelo, MP. 2011. The Impact of urban renewal on the health status of the community in Evaton MPA thesis.
- Van Beek, M. 2002. Institutionalisation of Civil Service Systems for Comparative Analysis, MPA thesis.
- Van Zyl, DC. 2006 Strategic supply-chain management by Matatiele Municipality, MPA thesis.
- Williams, P. 2004. Development of a corporate governance risk model for the City of Cape Town, MPA thesis.
Completed (As PhD examiner)
- Barle, DG. 2000. Local government reform in South Africa: a comparative perspective. PhD dissertation.
- Clarke, DG. 2007. Map literacy in South Africa and its implications for development planning, PhD dissertation.
- Habtemichael, FS. 2009. The Role of ICTs in Anti-corruption Strategies in the South African Public Sector. Some Perspectives from Complexity Thinking. PhD dissertation.
- Khan, F. 2010. Critical perspectives on post-apartheid housing praxis through the developmental state craft looking glass PhD dissertation.
- Louw, JA. 1995. An Informatics Model for the support and management of essential national health research in South Africa, PhD dissertation.
- Manona, W. 2004. Impact of health, water and sanitation services on improving the quality of life of poor communities, PhD dissertation.
- Van der Walt, G. 1997. Die toepassing van ‘n strategiese veranderingsbestuursproses vir die transformasie van die Suid-Afrikaanse staatsdiens, PhD dissertation.
Ongoing (as promoter)
- Isaacs, DN. Local governance as means to overcome the public service delivery impasse in South Africa, PhD dissertation
- Nyasulu, GM. Reasons and remedies for development project failure in Zambia, PhD dissertation
- Lange, JO. From housing to human settlements: Systems, process, capacity and integration implications of the South African housing vision, PhD dissertation
Special Projects - Contract research
- Burger, J and Van der Molen, K. 2003. “The Emerging Role of the National Council of Provinces as House of Parliament”, report on research funded by the European Parliamentary Support Programme.
- Burger, APJ. 2001 to 2005. Management of Provincial Property for Province of the Western Cape. Several issue papers as well as the Green Paper on the Management of Provincial Property (2001) and the White Paper on the Management of Provincial Property (2004).
- Burger, J. 2006 to 2008. National Department of Public Works: Process for the establishment of performance scorecards.
- Burger, J. 2010. Department of Human Settlements, Provincial Government of the Western Cape. Business Plan for the Capacity Building of Human Settlement Facilitators 2010 to 2014
Community Interaction Projects since 2007
Project management and facilitation of the following School of Public Management and Planning / School of Public Leadership Programme for Capacity Building projects:
- 2007 Total of 23 accredited short courses in Project Management, Programme Management and Public Sector Finance to various corporate clients and individual participants
- 2008 Total of 20 accredited short courses in Project Management, Programme Management and Public Sector Finance to various corporate clients and individual participants
- 2009 Total of 20 accredited short courses in Project Management, Programme Management and Public Sector Finance to various corporate clients and individual participants
- 2010-12 Accredited short courses in Project Management, Programme Management and Public Sector Finance and a comprehensive Management Development Programme to various corporate clients and individual participants, as well as the Municipal Management Development Programme presented as accredited service provider of National Treasury and the Local Government Seta to municipal officials to adhere to the prescriptions of Sections 83, 107 and 119 of the Local Government: Municipal Finance Management Act 56 of 2003 and Municipal Regulations on Minimum Competency Levels (RSA, Government Gazette 29967, 2007)
Other community service activities
- 1995 Conference Coordinator: 5th International Winelands Conference, Stellenbosch
- 1997-98 Department of State Expenditure: Member of the Financial Training Needs Assessment Steering Committee, Pretoria
- 1997-99 Joint Universities in Public Management Education Trust (JUPMET): Convenor, Public Finance Programme.
- 2001-11 Member of the Board of Directors of the Foundation for Contemporary Research (FCR), a prominent development and research oriented NGO, since 2007 chairperson of the board.
- 2002 Evaluation of three research project fund applications for the National Research Foundation
- 2003-04 Member of the task team of the Department of Social Services and Poverty Alleviation of the Province of the Western Cape on Integrated Food Security
- 2004 Evaluation of a completed National Research Foundation Innovation Fund project and an application for NRF accreditation
- 2004-06 Member of the Steering Committee for, and signatory to the Gland (Switserland) Declaration on the establishment of a World Conservation Learning Network in May 2004. Secretary of the "Community of Practice” Committee of the World Conservation Learning Network and project leader in organising a conference for the establishment of a Southern African chapter in May 2006.
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK: SPL Stellenbosch
Created by: JJSaunders