SUNScholar/Dspace/Why Ubuntu Server
This wiki page relates to the system build and maintenance of: http://scholar.sun.ac.za
In order to make the research outputs of Stellenbosch University available, the library decided develop an open access research repository service.
The repository has to make the research available for future researchers as well.
- We cannot predict what technology will exist in the future.
- But we can be almost certain, that open systems based on open standards will have a better chance of surviving to the future.
- Since we are employing open systems based on open standards, we have to eliminate any proprietary systems or standards.
- DSpace is open source software, supported by a foundation and is based on open standards.
- DSpace is also very popular as a repository management system.
- Ubuntu is also supported by a foundation and is also one of the most popular linux distributions which are based on open source software.
- Ubuntu is committed to releasing a "long term support" (LTS) version of the distribution every five years.
- The method of Ubuntu LTS releases allows us to plan for upgrades and makes capacity planning of the repository more effective.
- In addition, Ubuntu is derived from Debian, the original linux distribution.
- Debian is very stable, and has a very large community supporting it.
- Most linux distributions are based on open Unix standards.
So considering all of the above, DSpace on an Ubuntu server made logical sense to comply with most of BOAI, section 3.
All our tweaks and optimisations seem to be working.
The load dropped when we started using "authbind" for Tomcat thereby eliminating the need for the Apache "mod_jk" module, which was creating extra processing overhead.
Looks like we have enough disk space for the next 3yrs at least, at our current rate of submissions. The /var partition which holds the database was reduced in size by tweaking the bitstream checker properties and then running a full database vacuum.
We have more than enough compute muscle.
Our memory usage stabilised when we stopped using the JSPUI.